To enable health and wellness coach training and education programs to adapt their programs to meet the standards for ICHWC Program Approval, ICHWC is implementing a Transition Phase for Program Approval to be followed by Permanent Phase Approval.
Transition Phase Requirements for ICHWC Program Approval
A list of Approved Transition Programs is available below. Program approval will expire after the Permanent Phase is established.
(Please note: As soon as the Permanent Phase is launched, an application will be available to apply for Permanent Approval. All programs that are Transitionally Approved will need to reapply during this time. The application date for the Permanent Phase is projected to be available in Spring 2018.)
Programs were approved during the Transition Phase if they demonstrated the following:
- Students were required to learn and practice coaching tasks in all four domains of the Job Task Analysis (JTA) in a minimum of 30 real-time, synchronous contact hours of training and education classes or sessions. Details on the four domains of the Job Task Analysis are in this document.
- Programs delivered an assessment of a student’s demonstration of practical skills.
Approved Transition Programs
The following health and wellness coach training and education programs are ICHWC-Approved Transition Programs. Those programs with an asterisk require additional completion of an ICHWC-Approved additional training requirement for graduates to be eligible to sit for the Health & Wellness Coach Certifying Examination.
Please contact your program directly to find out your status and to determine if you need to complete an additional requirement.
A certificate of additional training requirement completion as well as a certificate of program completion will be required when applying for the HWC Certifying Examination. If your program does not issue a Certificate of Completion with the ICHWC logo, the ICHWC staff will contact your program director to verify eligibility to sit for the HWC Certifying Examination.
Academic Credit Programs
- Arizona State University, Healthy Lifestyle Coaching Program
- California Institute of Integral Studies, Integrative Health Studies Program
- College of Lake County, Certificate Program in Wellness Coaching and AAS Degree in Health and Wellness Promotion – Wellness Coaching Specialization
- Front Range Community College Holistic Health Program, Integrative Health & Wellness Coaching Certificate
- Maryland University of Integrative Health, Master of Arts in Health and Wellness Coaching and Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Health and Wellness Coaching
- Metropolitan State University of Denver, Wellness Coaching Minor and Post Bachelor’s Wellness Coaching Certification Program
- Monroe Community College, Health and Wellness Coach Training Program
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, AAS Degree in Wellness and Health Promotion – Wellness Coaching Emphasis
- University of Arizona, Center for Integrative Medicine, Integrative Health Coaching
- University of Delaware, Graduate Certificate in Health Coaching
- University of Louisville Get Healthy Now, Wellness Coaching Certification*
- University of Minnesota, Center for Spirituality and Healing, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Integrative Health and Well-Being Coaching and Master of Arts in Integrative Health and Well-Being Coaching
- University of Utah, Coaching Wellness Master’s Degree Program
- University of Wisconsin Steven’s Point, Undergraduate and Graduate Certificate in Health & Wellness Coaching
Academic Continuing Education Credit Programs
- College of Executive Coaching, Post-Graduate Certificate in Positive Psychology Wellness Coaching and Post-Graduate Certificate in Well-Being Coaching
- Duke Integrative Medicine, Integrative Health Coach Professional Training, Foundation Course/Certification Course
- Emory Continuing Education, Health Coach Certificate
- Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies Institute for Transformational Leadership, Certificate in Health Coaching
- Mayo Clinic Wellness Coach Training & Certification
- Saybrook University, Certificate in Integrative Wellness Coaching
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro, UNCG Health Coaching Program
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Vanderbilt Health Coaching Certificate Program
Private Sector Organizations
- Catalyst Coaching Institute, Master Certified Wellness Coach
- Dr. Sears Wellness Institute, Master Certified Health Coach Training
- Expert Coach Center, Expert Wellness Coach Certification
- Functional Medicine Coaching Academy, Inc., Health Coach Certification Program
- Guiding Mindful Change, Mindful Coach Certification
- Integrative Women’s Health Institute, The Women’s Health Coach Certification
- Institute for Integrative Nutrition*
- International Nurse Coach Association, Integrative Nurse Coach Certificate (INCCP)
- Intrinsic Solutions International, Certified Intrinsic Coach Certification Training
- INTERVENT International, Health Coach Training Program
- MentorCoach LLC, Wellness Coaching Certificate
- MentorPath® New Life Story® Wellness Coaches Training
- Noom, Inc., Health & Wellness Coach Training Program (Noomiversity)
- Quantum Coaching Method, Quantum Coaching Essentials*
- Real Balance Global Wellness Services Inc., Core Wellness & Health Coach Certification Program (Wellness Mapping 360 Method) (If you completed the program prior to January 1, 2015 contact Real Balance to complete an additional requirement.)
- Take Courage Coaching, Pain Management Coaching
- Teleosis Institute, Clinical Integrative Health Coaching
- The Institute For Life Coach Training, Wellness Coaching Specialist Program
- The Soma Institute, Health and Wellness Coaching Program
- Well-Being Ultimatum Coach Trainings
- Wellcoaches, Core Coach Training and Certification Program (If you participated in the coach training & certification program prior to September, 2015 contact Wellcoaches to complete an additional requirement to meet eligibility requirements.)
- WellPeople (HealthWorld Online), Wellness Inventory Certification Training*
- Wisdom of the Whole, Wisdom of the Whole Coaching Program
Private Sector Internal Organizations
- BlueCrossBlueShield of South Carolina and BlueChoice Health Plan of South Carolina Health Coach Certification
- Humana Wellness Solutions, Health Coach Training (Internal training program)
- Onlife Health, Inc., Health Coaching Certification (Internal training program)
- RedBrick Health, Health and Well-Being Coach Training (Internal Training Program)
- Veterans Health Administration, Whole Health Coaching Program* (Internal training program)
- UPMC MyHealth Coach Academy (Internal training program)
- Workplace Options, Live Well Wellness Global Coach Training (Internal training program)
Permanent Phase Requirements for ICHWC Program Approval
Once the Permanent Phase application process opens in Spring 2018, health and wellness coach training and education programs may apply for ICHWC program approval. The application fee is yet to be determined.
Click the links below to read the Permanent Phase Requirements:
As you are developing your program, we also encourage you to review the HWC Certifying Examination Content Outline.